Atlassian’s Enterprise Agile Planning Tools – Gartner Magic Quadrant Leader 2018
Once again, Atlassian is named a leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant. With a strong ecosystem of products designed to improve the way software is developed through agile methodologies and practices focusing on teams and task management, it’s no surprise that they are positioned amongst the Leaders quadrant for another year running.
With agile going mainstream, many organizations are recognizing its benefits and trying to implement across departments outside of software teams, such as Finance, HR, Marketing and Legal. Atlassian has been shifting their positioning from products to practices with a core focus on teams and have made it easy for all teams across the organization to adopt and embrace agile practices with their ecosystem. They continue to evolve and improve the ecosystem by scaling to support Enterprise seen by their latest commitments to Data Center and reinforcing their position as an Enterprise leader across all products – not just JIRA Software and Portfolio for Jira.
This study focuses on the enterprise-class agile development as they are the next step to the project-level agile and support large-scale software management.
Enterprise agile planning (EAP) tools help organizations to make use of agile practices at scale to achieve enterprise-class agile development. This is achieved by supporting practices that are business-outcome-driven, customer-centric, collaborative and cooperative, as well as with continual stakeholder feedback.
– Gartner Report
What Makes a Leader:
This Magic Quadrant looks at tools specifically focused on the development of software through the use of agile methodologies. Overall, we see several trends driving procurement decisions for these tools:
- Agile adoption has become mainstream — Agile now accounts for more software development activity than any other type of methodology. Agile competency is growing throughout the industry.
- Fragmented strategies — Most clients are still predominantly best-of-breed users of EAP and related tools, reflecting the fragmented tool strategies of many end-user organizations prior to adopting enterprise-class agile development.
- Digital business — Digital business strategies continue to promote agile adoption and maturity, driven by the need for stronger Mode 2 capabilities (see “How to Achieve Enterprise Agility With a Bimodal Capability” ).
- DevOps — The increasing use of DevOps and its extension into the business mean that parallel strategic commitments to agile development and governance are required.
- Maturing agile frameworks — As organizations apply agile to larger software development efforts, enterprise agile frameworks are becoming more mature and more widely adopted, such as Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS) and Disciplined Agile (DA).
- Product management — The drive to provide continuous value has led enterprises to shift from a project-based software delivery approach to one that treats applications as products. The corresponding shift to product management places new demands on EAP tools.
Atlassian Strong Points:
- A large customer base for Atlassian’s lead solution Jira drives a strong third-party market in the form of the Atlassian Marketplace. This helps fill gaps in functionality.
- Support for leading open-source repository Git through the Bitbucket add-on, as well as continuous integration via Bamboo, positions Atlassian for organizations implementing DevOps practices.
- Collaboration features via Stride, Confluence and 2017 acquisition, Trello, extend Atlassian’s market reach beyond the core application development team, to include customers, end users and other stakeholders.
Leveraging customer feedback, Atlassian has developed a strong understanding of what enterprise-agile tools are required to possess in order for an organization to select them; scalability in regards to visibility and performance. They continue to make vast improvements and investments in supporting organizations at the Enterprise level, making them an ideal solution for an organization at any level to start with, and are truly shaping the landscape for the way agile is being practiced across the organization within all teams, and how software is being developed and delivered.
To read more about where Atlassian sees agile going next, view their blog.
We have been recognized as one of the top staff augmentation services by Clutch thanks to all of our hard work!
Watch a free webinar On-Demand about the releases, plus, you'll get a sneak peek into what's coming in the 8.x series! Atlassian has announced important updates on Jira Software and Service Desk that will improve performance, fix a host of bugs and enhance the user...
Last week, our São Paulo office in Brazil held the first of a scheduled round of events focused on ITSM being held throughout North and South America. The event received almost 120 participants, among them users and aspiring clients of Atlassian tools. The session began with an introduction to the current e-Core expansion reported by the VP of Marketing and Sales – Brazil, André Palma.